Butchers in Umbria and Tuscany….
Here in Umbria and Tuscany butcher shops are our boutiques where we love shopping two times per week..at least! Even if we follow strictly the Mediterranean Diet that call meat only two times per week….
What to Buy:
- First: First of all the Chianina that comes from Val di Chiana and guarantees us the finest taste. It is extremely delicious and with a low fat content. This is an IGP product of Umbria and Tuscany.
- Second: Maialino di Cinta senese (Tuscan senese pork). This is our favorite and we love in particular, guanciale di cinta senese to make our Matriciana and or Carbonara Pasta! Also the lardo di cinta senese (Cinta senese Lard) to meld with your finger into the toasted bread. The Lard of Cinta senese is a Slow Food Presidium. The pigs grow free in the forests eating grass and and corns.
Our top list.
- In Chiusi Chianciano, Siena: La chianina di Manieri – via Trieste , 23 – Chiusi Scalo (SI) – Tel/Fax 0578 21183. It’s a butcher shop run by people with a long experience in the industry and always ready to meet your needs. It’s motto is “quality and courtesy”.
- Luca at Po Bandino, you can go in our name. The original name is Ansano. Be patient if you find the sign “Torno Subito” on the shop window, this is a family run business and sometimes they have to run for their kids!
- And also the historical Macelleria Pisi, from 1870 in Chiusi old town (up the hill).
If you are in Chianti and Val di Chiana Area, do not miss:
- Le delizie di Aldo, in Piazza Gamuttini, 27, Monte San Savino, Arezzo. To taste: the local meat burger, Italian style.
- Antica Lavorazione Carni Cesa. You can also buy online now. It is located in Via Cassia, 156, 52047 Marciano della Chiana AR
- Also don’t miss ANTICA MACELLERIA FALORNI, the historical butcher where since the 1729 you can find the specialties of the local norcineria, the Prosciutto Saporito di Greve and all the bagged, products also in the version of pig of Surrounded Senese and with wild boar, from the Finocchiona to the Noble Salami of Heavy in Chianti, realized with the noble parts of the pork, still to the Salami to the Classical Chianti. Where: Piazza Giacomo Matteotti, 71 at Greve in Chianti, Firenze.
- ANTICA MACELLERIA CECCHINI, Via XX Luglio, 11 Panzano in Chianti Firenze – tel. +39 055 852020 Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday /Sunday 9 – 14 – Friday /Saturday 9 – 18.
Shops in Tuscany are usually open by 9.30 AM to 1.00 PM and by 4.30 or 5.00 PM in summer to 7.30 PM – Never on Sunday – Local food store all are not open on Thursday in Umbria and on Wednesday in Tuscany.
If you look for local Street Food, such as Trippa or Lampredotto:
On the side of Perugina Factory in Perugia, at IP petrol station station parking in via Circense, you will find one of the best Trippa or Lambredotto. He is open only for lunch, all year long.
- Or at Val di Chiana highway exit, on the way to Val di Chiana shopping mall, at the roundabout, Lampreghiotto. It is one of the best Tuscan Street food! Address on google map: Uscita casello A1 Val di Chiana, 2, 53048 Bettolle.