Local markets and shops in Tuscany and Umbria, here a list of the main and best.
1) In PACIANO
Supermarkets and main shops never open on Thursday evening and from 1.00 PM to 4.30 in fall winter and to 5.00 PM in summer and every Sunday.
In the evening shops closed at 7.30 in fall winter and at 8.00 PM in Summer.
1) At the bottom of the village there is a small Supermarket MARGHERITA/CONAD with also fresh bread, cheese from Pienza, fresh vegetables etc etc. Where: viale Roma 14/16 Paciano
Front of the supermarket there is a pharmacy opened every day but not on Sunday where to find and order special products. They speak little English. If you need a pharmacy on Sunday check the front door of pharmacy for stores that are opened.
Also on Sunday and Wednesday morning there is fresh organic bread and breakfast at Lo Scoiattolo association in via Gramsci.
Inside the village near the Bell Tower there is Peppicelli butcher shop (Macelleria in Italian), you can order there good meat for your barbecue!
More butchers: Paciano butcher’s shop?
2) Supermarket on the way to PACIANO:
Famila (if you are coming from Chiusi Chianciano) – located in Po Bandino area, it is open also on Sunday Morning.
Where: Via Piemonte Loc.Po Bandino, 06061 Città della Pieve PG
3) Weekly fresh markets (in the morning, up to 1 p.m.):
Monday – Chiusi (where to buy the best vegetables and a just done PORCHETTA (roast pork cooked in the bread oven) and Tavernelle (along the road to Perugia) and Gaiole in Chianti on the second Monday of the month; Radda in Chianti on the fourth Monday of the month.
- Tuesday – (2° week of the month) San Quirico d’Orcia – Every Tuesday in Chiusi high city.
Wednesday – Castiglione del Lago
Thursday – Magione and Camucia (find Mr. Gaetano for nice woman dresses)
Friday – Castiglion Fiorentino, Montalcino, Torrita di Siena and our best is Sarteano, only at 30 minutes driving.
Saturday – Cortona, Castiglion d’Orcia, Città della Pieve, Castellina in Chianti, and Passignano
Every 24th: Chianciano hobbies and vintage market
Every second Sunday of the Month: Montepulciano
Every first Sunday of the Month From 10.AM to 7.00 PM: Pienza special for Pienza BIO-DYNAMICAL & Organic cheese by il Casale
4) Where to to shop Sunday morning and bigger supermarkets around Castiglion del Lago
For big food shopping, also on Sunday Morning up to 1.00 PM – We like to go to COOP they have a good selection quality/price.
Where: It is inside the shopping centre (also with pharmacy and more stores) called AGILLA (it is in bricks with a large parking area) in via de Nicola Enrico a CASTIGLIONE DEL LAGO.
It is front of the TAMOIL petrol station. In the same building there are more shops like laundry.
4) Sunday morning and every day but not on Monday – enjoy the brunch and appetizers at MICHELE & CO BAKERY AND PATISSERIE
in via Novella 2, Castiglion Del Lago.
it is located before the 3dt roundabout on the way to Castiglion del Lago, on the left it is an industrial white building bordered in red, with olives trees in the parking. http://www.micheleandco.it/?lang=en
We love all the patisserie, and don’t miss to order the full aperitivo!
Just after Michele and co you will find another big Supermarket CONAD that is open also on Sunday Morning.
- also on Sunday morning a close by supermarket is in Panicale at Locanda Marconi, 50 mt. after the delicious restaurant Masolino.
5) TO BUY FRESH PASTA, BEST OF UMBRIA GO TO MISS ADALGISA Pasta and pasticci.
6) FOR 100% LOCAL ORGANIC SHOPPING: LA SAPORITA, ORGANIC VEGETABLES, FRUITS AND MORE!!!
not open FROM JUNE TO SEPTEMBER.
Just outside Paciano (below bar Boldrini, follow directions to Perugia, and after 2 km on the left there is La Saporita cypress and pines entrance) 20 Vocabolo Collazzone, Mazzarelli, PG 06060 – TEL. 0039 075 830312.